Thursday, May 7, 2009

New Medicine...

Well I've been on my new medicine for a week now and it seems like I'm doing okay. He is gradually decreasing my dose for the prednisone each month until it is done. He put me on a new medicine...It's called hydroxychloroquine, which helps reduce the inflammation, swelling, stiffness and pain. It does take a long time to build up in the body, and I may not notice the benefits from it for 2-6 months. It does affect the eyes so I need to be in constant communication with my eye doctor and let him know I am taking this medicine, and if I have any problems so he can know if there is any changes in my vision. I am still going to be on the prednisone for a while and I still have the Naproxen that I can take for pain. So by the time I am done with the prednisone, this medicine should be all I'll need! I guess this medicine was initially developed for the treatment of malaria... very interesting! It's nice to know what kind of prescriptions I'm taking and I really like my Rheumatologist, he definately knows what he's talking about and very knowledgeable. He makes sure I understand everything including side effects to watch for, what I can take and not take, etc. So I feel very relieved to know that I have a good doctor, since this is something that doesn't go away. Tomorrow I go for my mammogram... not fun! I am going to go for the night and I will write more later. Thanks for visiting me...

1 comment:

Mikaela said...

You're welcome for visiting you :)